European accident statement form

Fill in European accident protocol

European accident statement form

If you are involved in an accident in Switzerland or abroad, the facts can be documented at the scene by all those involved using the European accident statement form.

A constant companion on the road

Anyone driving along the roads of Europe should have a copy of the European accident statement form in the glove box – ideally in their own language and the language of the country they are traveling in. The content and layout have been standardized across Europe.

If an accident occurs abroad, the individuals involved can fill out a copy in their respective language and then give each other a copy. In this way, the accident, all personal information and any damage to the vehicle can be simply documented at the scene for insurance purposes. 

Request a European accident statement form

When you take out car insurance with Zurich, we will send you a copy of the European accident statement form alongside your insurance policy documents. You can order additional copies from us online free of charge.

Order now

Please be aware of the following

  • Fill out the European accident statement form directly at the scene of the accident as precisely as possible.
  • Include the names and addresses of any witnesses.
  • When the form has been filled out, it must be signed by all those involved.
  • Should any people have been injured or should a person involved refuse to fill out the form, call the police.

Frequently asked questions

Why do I need the European accident statement form?

For the documentation of an accident. If your vehicle is involved in an accident, the European accident statement form helps you to record all relevant information and personal data for insurance purposes. The form is structured in exactly the same way across Europe and available in various languages.

Our tips for preparing to travel

Find out in good time before you travel, which documents you will need. This will ensure you don't forget important documents such as your International Insurance Card (formerly Green Card). 

How should I fill out the form?

Take care to describe the sequence of events of the accident for your insurer as precisely as possible in addition to the personal data of all those involved and any potential witnesses. It is also important that any damage to the vehicle is recorded and documented with a photo if possible.

Each party has to fill out a copy in their own language, have it signed by all the parties, and give them a copy. In the case of two parties who speak the same language, a single form form can be jointly filled out and signed by both parties.

What do I do with the form after the accident?

First, fill out the reverse side of the form at home. These details are needed by your insurer. Copy or, where necessary, photograph the completed form for your records. Please send the original copy to your insurer.

Our tip: Remember to obtain a new copy of the European accident statement form after the accident and place it in your glove box.

Advice on traveling with your car

Our guide articles feature useful information about cars and travel
 Tourist couple by a car

Road trip? What you need to know!

Which insurance do you need abroad? Who pays in the event of an accident? What must you have in the car? To ensure the fun doesn't fall by the wayside during your road trip, there are a few things you need to bear in mind. Here you will find answers to the most important questions about car travel and road trips.
Traveling with children

Traveling with children

You need strong nerves to travel with children. The best tips for a stress-free journey, whatever means of transport you choose.
Thumb up from car window

Take out a car subscription instead of buying or leasing

A car subscription allows you to switch vehicles flexibly according to your needs. Is this new type of mobility something for you? Find out.
Young woman attaches surfboard to the roof of the car

Damaged a borrowed car – what now?

Damaging a borrowed car can be expensive. You can get insurance for it: with additional private liability insurance coverage for "Driving third-party motor vehicles."
Girl cuddles a dog in the car

Pets in the car

The most important tips and tricks to keep people and pets relaxed on the road.

Stay on the move

With our insurance solutions, you and your vehicle receive the best possible protection.
A child in the car with a dog

Our bestseller: Zurich car insurance

The car insurance with all-round service: With 28 Help Points & 250 partner garages, we are always close to you. We organize the repair of your car and you receive a replacement car, public transport ticket or cab voucher free of charge.

Mother and child in the car

International Motor Insurance Card

Make sure you have the International Motor Insurance Card - formerly also known as the Green Card - with you when driving abroad in your car. This is because the International Motor Insurance Card confirms that your vehicle has liability insurance and is therefore properly insured.

MyWay Header

MyWay – low-cost car insurance

Ideal for infrequent drivers: You enjoy the protection offered by traditional car insurance but, aside from a basic fee, only pay for the kilometers you drive. You have a full overview of your costs and kilometers driven at all times in the app.