Theft insurance: What you should know

Apartment with open balcony door

Theft insurance: What you should know

A break-in at home, theft when you're traveling or stolen data on the Internet – it's upsetting whatever the circumstances. If a theft happens in your own four walls, it is usually included in the ground-up coverage of your household contents insurance. But how can you cover yourself optimally wherever the theft happens?

Will insurance cover a claim if the door was unlocked?

If, for instance, the thief enters through an open window or an unlocked door, it is a case of simple theft. Just as in a break-in, in a simple theft the stolen household contents are usually covered by household contents insurance and will be replaced at the new value.

Is the theft of money insured?

In the case of burglary, cash up to a maximum value of CHF 5,000 is insured, unless a higher sum insured was contractually agreed. By contrast, in the event of a simple theft, stolen money is not insured.

What if jewelry is stolen?

Jewelry counts as household contents and is insured. In the event of the theft of jewelry, the financial compensation is limited to 20 % of the sum insured on household goods or to a maximum of CHF 30,000. This limit doesn't apply if you kept your jewelry in a safe weighing more than 100 kilograms or one that is fixed into the wall, or if the items of jewelry were lost due to a robbery.

What is covered in the event of a robbery?

A robbery refers to a situation in which the thief threatens their victim or uses violence to steal their property. Claims that arise as a result of a robbery are also covered by household contents insurance.

Who is liable for the loss of items if they go missing?

If you lose your camera or can no longer find your mobile phone, the claim is not covered by the ground-up coverage of household contents insurance. For such cases, it is worth taking out insurance of valuables or the supplementary insurance "super theft". 

Is it possible to specially insure particularly valuable items?

It is possible to take out more comprehensive cover for valuable items – including against loss. Special favorite items – such as valuable horn-rimmed glasses, a bike, a designer purse or a fine fountain pen – can be protected against loss, damage and destruction at home or outside the home through the insurance of valuables. The cover also includes theft. In this case, the sum insured for household contents can be reduced by the value of these items and so the premium reduced.

What happens if your luggage is stolen while you're traveling?

Lost luggage is every traveler's nightmare: The theft of luggage, as well as luggage arriving late at your holiday destination, can be covered with the supplementary insurance "super theft". With this theft insurance, the sum insured doubles as soon as the insured person is traveling, which means being at least 50 kilometers from home or spending the night away from home. 

Does household contents insurance also cover online theft?

Losses that arise online can be covered with supplementary insurance. For instance, "Cyber – Safe Shop & Pay" offers protection against the risk that a hacker gains online access to an e-banking portal and empties the account. This insurance against fraudulent account access, for example by skimming or phishing, can be concluded with a sum insured of CHF 50,000 at most.

What if your smartphone goes missing?

Your cellphone is automatically insured against theft from your home via your household contents insurance. Select the additional module "simple theft outside of the home" to ensure your cellphone is also insured against pickpockets when you're out and about.  
Good to know: Your cellphone is not, however, insured against damage from being dropped or similar mishaps. The additional module "accidental damage to electrical equipment" or, while traveling, the option "super theft" in your household contents insurance will cover such claims.

In addition to the thefts mentioned, there are additional types of theft that are covered by different insurance:

  • Theft in companies
    The theft of company equipment can be covered via property insurance. This also applies to break-ins. 

More articles

Package outside the front door

Stolen package - this is how you are protected

The long-awaited package has not show up – it has obviously been stolen. Now what?
Man is looking at his watch

Comprehensive insurance for jewelry and watches

Protect your luxury watch or jewelry against theft, damage or loss. With our insurance of valuables, you'll be able to wear your precious pieces worry-free.
Woman is on cell phone and holding credit card

New smartphone? This insurance makes sense for you.

Is it worth getting cellphone insurance for my new smartphone? We show you the options available. And which of them makes most sense for you.
Laughing woman

As a result, you enjoy all-round protection at home.

Household insurance covers household contents insurance and personal liability insurance and is the basic insurance for your home.
Man riding a bicycle over a bridge

Is your bike frame broken? With insurance for accidental damage to contents, you’re covered.

Do you like to be active outdoors or do you have a house full of tablets and smartphones? We advise you to insure your valuable possessions with cover for accidental damage to contents.
Family enjoying time spent in the bedroom

HomeAssistance: fast help for domestic emergencies

Locked out? Flooded? Bedbug invasion? HomeAssistance offers help for domestic emergencies – it makes sense for homeowners as well as tenants.
 Children paint a wall

Tenant damage? Help in the event of a claim

Accidents happen. But who is liable for damage to rented apartments and who assumes the repair costs?
Girl is playing the violin

Do I need insurance of valuables?

How can treasured possessions be protected with insurance of valuables? The most important questions and answers.