Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

The ideal insurance for your possessions

You are watching soccer on TV when suddenly there is a thunderstorm. Lightning strikes, the game is over and your appliances are put out of action by the voltage surge. Will you take a financial hit, too? With Zurich Contents Insurance you can relax. We cover the costs if your property is damaged as a result of natural hazards, fire, water or a break-in. Calculate your individual premium easily online now.

Lightning strikes your cell phone

Your brand-new cell phone is plugged in to charge when there is a violent thunderstorm. Lightning strikes and your cell phone is fried: as a result of the voltage surge it is now unusable, but fortunately not irreplaceable. Contents insurance will pay you the replacement value.

When your home is plunged in at the deep end

You return from your vacation at the beach and discover that the weather at home has been terrible. Heavy rain has flooded your basement, and your ski equipment has learned to swim. You rescue your possessions from the flood, while we rescue your finances. When nature plays havoc, contents insurance will cover the damage.

Bike path? Bike’s gone!

You are cycling around a lake and are tempted by the thought of a picnic by the water. Your trusty old bike will wait for you by the bike path while you rest. Or so you thought. Unfortunately, someone else now has it, and you are left to continue on foot. But not for long – your additional "Simple theft outside the home" coverage will help you out. We compensate you for the theft, and you can buy a new bike.


  • Contents insurance covers damage at home and while traveling worldwide, for example as a result of fire, water, storms, break-in or theft.
  • We also insure against glass breakage, for example, or offer immediate assistance in an emergency.
  • We are available to you by phone 24 hours a day: 0800 80 80 80 or +41 44 628 98 98 (abroad).
  • With the no-claims bonus, you get 15 percent of the premiums back after three claim-free years.
  • Benefit from a premium discount of up to 10 percent if you have other insurance policies with Zurich.

Basic insurance

  • all movable objects in your home at replacement value
  • damage resulting from fire, for example conflagration, smoke, lightning strike or explosion
  • damage resulting from natural hazards, for example inundation, floods, storms or hail
  • damage resulting from water, for example if liquid escapes from pipes, equipment, aquariums or water beds
  • damage resulting from burglary, if someone forcibly enters your home
  • damage resulting from robbery, if someone forcibly removes your property from your person
  • damage resulting from simple theft, i.e. with no application of force
  • stolen items, if someone breaks into your locked vehicle (up to a claim amount of 5,000 Swiss francs)

Supplementary insurance

  • Simple theft outside the home: We cover the costs if you have items stolen outside the community where you live.
  • Super theft: If you have items stolen when traveling, we cover the costs up to double the sum insured. Your items are also insured if they are dropped on the floor or are damaged in any other way. This applies from 50 kilometers away from your home as the crow flies, or when you spend a night away from home.
  • Accidental electrical damage: Is your house full of tablets and cell phones? Insure all electrical devices against mishaps for as little as CHF 68.
  • Home Care Service: If you are in difficulties because your home has become uninhabitable, we will organize immediate assistance free of charge. Our team will install emergency locks or emergency glazing, clean pipes or guard your home.
  • Glass breakage: We pay for damage to furniture (e.g. broken glass table top or glazing in cabinets) and to the building (e.g. broken windows or glass doors).
  • Card blocking service: We cover the costs if your credit card, debit card, customer loyalty card or SIM card is lost or misused.

Attractive terms for young adults and families

  • If you are between the ages of 18 and 25, you benefit from an 18-percent discount.
  • If you are between the ages of 26 and 30, you receive an 8-percent discount.
  • If you already have motor vehicle or life insurance with Zurich, we will give you a discount of up to 10 percent on the total premium. 
  • Take advantage of Zurich's partnership with Securitas Direct, a provider of state-of-the-art alarm systems for your home.
  • Our partner "Waldis Tresore" will give you discounts on security solutions for your valuables.

Exclusively from an insurance advisor

  • Pet insurance: If your dog or cat has an accident, we will cover the veterinary costs.
  • Accidental damage to cultivated areas: This supplementary insurance covers damage to your garden, for example if a storm destroys plants, paths or fountains.
  • Accidental damage to contents: With this supplementary insurance, your electrical and sports equipment is insured if, for example, water spills over a keyboard, a video camera is dropped or your skis come apart.
  • Earthquake: This supplement includes damage caused by an earthquake.

Overall score of 5.2 in the "Comparis" private liability and household insurance test conducted a survey on customer satisfaction with the Swiss private liability and household insurance companies in collaboration with the market research institution GfK. Zurich achieved a good overall score of 5.2 (test: 05/2018). 

Optimum protection for young adults

Zurich offers you many advantages – especially if you are under 30. Key information at a glance:

  • Premium discounts allow young adults to save money
  • People living in the same household can insure themselves jointly
  • With "Accidental damage to electrical equipment," all devices are cost-effectively insured – from your games console to your tablet
of customers take out contents and personal liability insurance together.
of customers with contents insurance also insure theft outside the home or super theft.
of customers with contents insurance also protect against glass breakage.

Request advice

Find an agency